Monday, April 5, 2010

ACORD Forms in the iPad - Part 2

My iPad arrived just about 10:00 AM Saturday. The UPS truck looked like that was all they were delivering that day.

So do ACORD Forms work on the iPad. No - not ours using Adobe Reader to present the forms as fillable PDF forms. to be clear, PDF's do open on the iPad, but not as fillable forms. You can not enter information and save or print it. I have purchased the Adobe Acrobat Reader Pro for iPad. I will test it later and let you know if it changes this.

How does this make me feel about the iPad asks the psychologist?

I still love it, but I don't think it will be a killer device as it is currently set up.

I do think the type of device - a tablet computer - has finally shown us what personal computing will become over the next year or two. But Apple has intentionally limited the iPad so badly - I assume to protect it's other product lines - that as Android based devices are released which do not impose these artificial limitations on their hardware and software, those devices will replace my laptop and my iPad.

Here are the limitations which keep me from loving the iPad...

  1. Browser limitations which keep the whole World Wide Web unavailable to me. The very same web sites I can visit on my iPhone and iTouch I can not see using my iPad browser. Not acceptable in any way. I couldn't order take out last night from my iPad. I had to use my iTouch iPod. This is just stupid.
  2. No USB port. I need to move stuff on and off my iPad without having to get Apple's approval first. That kind of control ended in grade school when I had to get permission from Miss Frothingham to go to the bathroom.
  3. No camera. OK, now I'm just complaining because the other stuff - especially the browser - are so disappointing.

Do I like my iPad. Hell yes. Am I going to keep it. You bet. Will I be buying an Android based tablet when they come out. Probably more than one.

I agree with the reviewer who said they felt like they were holding the future in their hands.

I also understand the reviewer who called the iPad an iPhone without the phone. But I disagree. It is an iPhone without the phone or the full browser.

It is fortunate for Apple they got to the space first. If this device came out after the first well done Android device it would be another Apple Lisa. Oh yes, I have one of those also.

No comments: